The search for a happy life can be endless and confusing. Fitness, beauty, health, wealth, love, purpose... how are these things obtained? The short answer is this: change your mind, change your life.
How you think will make or break your life. It will control the course of your destiny. The only person who can change it, who can point your life in the direction you want it to go in, is you. You have an unbelievable amount of power within you, if only you choose to use it.
Your thoughts control your actions and your actions determine the course of your life. This is why adapting positive thinking will allow you to create your best life.
What is positive thinking and how can it affect your life?
Do you believe you can obtain what you’re seeking in life? If yes, then you can. If not, then you probably won’t. In order to have your best life you have to adjust your thinking to a positive mindset in which you believe in yourself and your capabilities and focus on what you want to achieve.
Our minds are incredible tools, tools that we seldom, if ever, take full advantage of. If we were to harness the power of our minds to the fullest, we would be capable of anything.
One way you can harness this limitless power is by using the law of attraction, or choosing the way that you want to live by focusing on what you want to manifest in your life. Consciously choose what to focus on and what to filter out and your life will be radically different. The thoughts that you regularly hold in your mind will dominate your reality and change the course of your life.
Once you train your mind to think positively, you will notice incredible changes in yourself and your life. Your brain will regularly release more endorphins, or feel-good hormones, which will make you feel happier, lighter, more confident and capable. By expanding your mind and reducing self-limiting beliefs you will be able to grow without limit, achieving the life you have imagined.
Choose positivity and your life will be positive. Choose success and consistently focus on it with the power of your mind and your life will be defined by it.
“There is a good dog and a bad dog fighting within each of us. The one that is going to win is the one we feed the most” – Chinese Proverb
How to harness the power of positivity
1. Live your life with intention Imagine a boat left to drift upon an ocean versus a boat sailed with intention to a particular destination. Where will each end up? Now think about how different life is when you simply let it unfurl before you or if you deliberately choose how you want to feel, what you want to do, how you want to be. Sit down and take the time to decide what you want your life to be like. Write down specific goals. Each day when you wake up, start your day with these intentions in mind. Think about your short and long-term goals and make a plan for the day, even if it’s something simple like today I will fuel my body with healthy foods or today I will concentrate on what I’m grateful for. Decide what you want to focus on and achieve. Throughout the day when you are faced with decisions – should I take the stairs or the elevator? Should I swim with my kids or flip through Facebook while they play by themselves? Grapes or bagel? – think about whether your decision will bring you closer to or farther away from your goal.
2. Notice your thoughts and control your mental chatter to train your mind All day long our mind is full of thoughts - this is unavoidable. Spend some time tuning into this chatter. Is it mostly positive or negative? Would you let anyone talk to someone you love the way your inner voice talks to yourself? For a lot of us, the unfortunate answer is no – we don’t speak to ourselves with love and respect. Are you always telling yourself that you’re fat, unworthy, or stuck? That you never have enough time for anything? That you’ll never be able to change? If these negative thoughts dominate your mind, they will manifest in your life. Start changing your reality right now by transforming these negative statements into positive ones. Every time a negative thought pops into your mind, substitute it with a positive one. Though this might be taxing or awkward at first, over time it will become reflexive. The other part of training your mind is managing your focus. Are you focusing on how your legs jiggle when you run or how invigorating it is to fill your lungs to their full capacity? How miserable it is to exercise, or how amazing the results will feel? How you always want to grab a “cheat” snack, or how good it feels when you fuel your body with fresh, healthy food? Manage your focus, your thoughts and your attitude to create your own new truths and way of seeing yourself and the world. If you’re always telling yourself that you are beautiful and worth it, then you will have more of a drive to take care of yourself. Then when you’re faced with each of the countless choices in your daily life you will be more apt to make healthy decisions that will help you reach your goals.
3. Be aware of your body language and posture. Scan your body right now. Are your shoulders tensed? Are you slumping over? Are your brows knitted together? Or is your body relaxed, your back straight and tall, your face open and smiling? Your body is your vessel. How you move it through the world affects how you feel, and how you feel affects how your body is positioned. Body language, posture, tensing, and physical habits all affect and project our mood and mindset. They create a feedback loop with yourself and with others. Try this experiment – first examine how you’re feeling. Then hold a pencil between your teeth and perform another examination. Though this feels strange, it forces us to smile, and smiling makes us feel happy. Project yourself with confidence and happiness and your life will be defined by these traits.
4. Record the positive things in your life. It's easy to focus on the things that get you down, that frustrate you, that stand in your way. It's harder to concentrate on the little things that made you happy and went well in your day. When you spend more of your headspace focusing on the good things, you will realize just how many there are. An effective and enjoyable way to do this is through writing down the best parts of your day every day, even if they’re just little insignificant things. It’s the little things that make up a day, and it’s the days that make up a life. Notice small beauties and kindnesses around you. Write down something that made you laugh. Record your progress each day that brings you closer to your goals. Train your mind to focus on and appreciate these positive aspects of your life and you will soon notice that they will become more and more abundant.
5. Set up your home and life to motivate you so it’s easier to live your best life. Fill your life with inspiration, positivity, and beauty. Post your favorite quotes on your desk or on your steering wheel. Place fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthy foods in the front of your refrigerator so you see them first when you open it, or keep them on the counter for quick and easy healthy snacking. Keep a bottle of water with you all the time. Play inspiring and motivating music to shape your mood. Keep your home, workspace and vehicle tidy so your mind isn’t as cluttered. Create a schedule for when to exercise so you don’t have to choose a time to do it every day.
6. Create positivity for others. Choose your words carefully, since you can never take them back once they’re said. Also remember that people remember how you made them feel, not necessarily what you said. Pay it forward. Be kind. Be the light you want to see in the world.
You are immensely powerful. You can do anything you think you can do. Change your mind, change your life.
I can’t wait to see what reality you create.
For further inspiration, check out these books:
“The Secret” by Rhonda Byrne “The Power of Positive Thinking” by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale “What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality” by William Arntz